Monday 10 June 2024

Alice and Mr Mike

 Alice and Mr Mike

by Ellen Pepper


Once upon a time, somewhere long ago...

Mr Mike held up a $100 bill and said something that was hard for her to understand because of his thick accent.

Alice: "You want me to be your girlfriend for a hundred bucks? Is that what you said?"

He nodded.

"I'm only 11 years old."

He laughs, "That's no problem."

Alice disagreed, "It's against the law, for one thing. You'd be thrown in jail."

He: "You don't tell nobody, nobody goes to jail."  Laughs less heartedly.

Alice: "My mother is in the hospital right now having another one of your babies. What is wrong with you? Your own daughter is my age."

He: "Nobody needs to know. You get a hundred dollars. It's a good deal for you."

Alice: "How would I be able to respect myself if I betrayed my mother and sold my body for 100 dollars to a married man twice my age who has eight children with his wife and dozens more kids scattered around the city in all the rental properties he owns?

You have sex with almost all the women who rent from you because they're poor and you give them a break on their rent.
There's a word for men like you and it's not something to be proud of.

 Since you're the father of two - no - three of my siblings now, I won't tell my mother about your good deal.
Don't try this with any other little girls or I will report you to the police. When you get out of prison, you'll be sent back to your own country."

Mr Mike hands her the money: "Keep this."

Alice: "Have you not been paying attention to what I've said?"

Mr Mike: "You take it. You are not a little girl - you talk like a lawyer. You are trusty and strong. I think good of you now."

Alice: "I will save this money to go to university when the time comes."

Mr Mike: "You are smart girl. I still like you. Is it okay if I ask you when you get older?"

Alice: "Don't even think about it."

-----------------------------------------------------
©Ellen Pepper 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thom's Side of the Story

 Thom's Side of the Story by Ellen Pepper                    None of it was my fault. I know what people say. Some tell me to my face. T...