Tuesday 20 December 2022

THE ACCORDION PLAYER

 by Ellen Pepper

 

The accordion player came to visit last night.

He was standing outside my window when I got out of bed.

It was a lemony sunlight kind of Spring day.

His expression was melancholy. He looked much older.


I asked him what he wanted.

He said he missed me.


I told him that he had to leave -

that we weren't married anymore.

He wanted to be invited inside.

I refused.

He insisted.

Again, I refused.


He came closer to the window and I told him to go away...

because he was dead.

"Why do you think I'm dead?" he asked.

I told him that he was standing in mid-air,

outside a second floor window,

that he'd been dead and buried these 18 years,

and that this was just a dream.

 

© Ellen Pepper 2022

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thom's Side of the Story

 Thom's Side of the Story by Ellen Pepper                    None of it was my fault. I know what people say. Some tell me to my face. T...