Thursday, 13 August 2026

I Won't Say Goodbye

 "Play the Adagio at my funeral," he said.
We looked into each other's eyes.
"People will cry, " said I.
"I've waited my life for that, "said he.

We were walking through High Park in the Spring.
Cherry trees in blossom.
A chill in the air that the sun dispelled.
Passersby didn't see that you were dying.

(I won't say goodbye.)

Remember when we were young?
Remember all the plans we made?
We were going to storm the world.
We were going to make it in the wild.

Your plan was to write, act and direct.
I was going to tend to others.
We meant to succeed and change the world.
But now you're dying before...

Before you've finished.
And I only have time to tend to you.
Our dreams failed to come true.
And...I'm losing you.
(Let's not say goodbye.)

I was there when you learned your fate.
You faked nonchalance, but
I know you well enough.
We clung like limpets to each other.

The funeral plans are set now.
I mourn your loss already.
You're fading by the day.
The spark has left your eyes.

(You'll soon say goodbye.)

I wish I could go with you.
The world will soon be too dark.
You'll be fine on the Other Side, I know it.
I'll be here without you.

Where will I store the memories?
Where will be my home...
when you're gone?
I won't say good bye.
I can't say goodbye.
Please stay.

  ©Ellen Pepper 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Won't Say Goodbye

 "Play the Adagio at my funeral," he said. We looked into each other's eyes. "People will cry, " said I. "I...