Wednesday 17 May 2023

THE WANDERER

THE WANDERER

by Ellen Pepper

Hi Angela,

I hope all is well with you. I have some news from the farm. It's kind of funny. It would be funnier if I could tell you in person.

A couple of days ago, when I went up to the road to check the mail, I saw a tiny kitten wandering around the backyard all by itself while the other cats were waiting at the feeding area.

I greeted the little one and asked why she was so far away from her mum. Then I asked the assembled mums whose kitten it was. They all put on innocent faces and turned their backs. Except Blackie - she was watching intently to see what I'd do. Eventually, after she ate, Blackie took the kitten by the scruff of its neck and scooted off in the direction of Seb's house. He and his wife are the nearest neighbours.

Yesterday, I thought I saw it lying dead on the bike path near the road but when I went up to what I thought was its corpse, it turned out to be an empty and abandoned bird's nest.

This morning at around 8am, a text came from Seb, asking whether we'd lost a kitten. The poor mite was in Melissa's wheelbarrow and M was quite taken with it but they have already rescued several cats and thought that it should be with its mum. Melissa described it as looking like it's only a week old, but that I know for a fact that it's closer to being 2 months old - it's just small for its age.

Derek went over there and put the kitten in an Amazon box then took it back over to the  feeding area on our patio. Blackie was crying for it near the front door when she heard its meowing as it was taken into the house. She was frantic. She raced to the back and pulled it from the box, started licking it and gave it an exasperated lecture. Then Brown Mumma came by and they discussed the little globetrotter.

Blackie picked it up by its scruff and went off, back toward Seb's place.

About 10 minutes went by.

The next thing we saw was Melissa walking up to the feeding area with the kitten in her hands. It seems that Blackie had returned it to her yard. We all had a laugh about it - a good way to start the day. I think that Blackie wants her baby to live with Seb and Melissa.

Did I mention that this kitten is very cute and appealing as well as being an adventurer? It's obviously tugging at Melissa's heartstrings and I have the feeling that she's going to adopt it, sooner or later. I've never known such an intrepid wanderer amongst the annual crops of kittens.
I'll let you know how this turns out.


Take care, Sis
love, Emily


P.S. Tell your Amos that I'm proud that he graduated high school. They grow up so fast, don't they?
P.P.S. The farmer is tilling out back - he started up after all the fooforaw this morning.

©Ellen Pepper 2023

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

GOOD MORNING, MRS MOORE

by Ellen Pepper A brightly sunlit room, early morning. A woman sitting up in bed and leaning against pillows watches a nurse preparing to ch...